Re: [TenTec] Dirty Transmitters - Flex and Yaesu

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Dirty Transmitters - Flex and Yaesu
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 11:11:15 +0100
Guys, how about this for an interpretation of dirty TX:

I lived on a block with three hams.  We had a Ten-Tec, an Icom, and a
Kenwood, with about 100 meters between us.
The Ten-Tec and Icom both fed amps.  The Kenwood was run barefoot.

When the TT or ICOM were on other bands, they did not disturb either of the
other radios (on other bands).
When the Kenwood was on the air on any band, it raised the noise level by
several S-Units on the other two radios, regardless of what band they were
on.

I contend that "that" Kenwood model was a dirty transmitter.

All three met FCC IMD rules.

That was an older Kenwood and I can't recall the exact model number.
However many of today's brand new radios are just as bad in phase noise as
that radio was - even some that cost several thousand dollars.

I'm not talking about 3rd order IMD here that affect the band in use, I'm
talking about dirty PLLs and lack of low-cost filtering to clean them up -
which affect all bands if you live within a block or two of that TX.  Put an
amplifier behind it and then you RF-SPAM a mile or two.

What Kim was referring to (pre-distortion) may be state-of-the-art in
theory, but it is not readily available in a mature radio.
FLEX does not have it and who knows when.  And even then, at what price?

Anon has it but their software in general is not as ripe as that of FLEX.
I base this on Rob Sherwood's report earlier this year of trying to get an
Anon set up to run a contest together with his alpha amp.  He compared that
to doing same with a FLEX.

Until a feature is available to us at an affordable price, I would not call
it state-of-the art feature, I would call it near-future feature.

I have never run a FLEX, nor an ANON and perhaps it is unfair for me to pass
judgment on them.
But I have been listening to what Rob Sherwood says since 1976 and so far he
has been spot on with his judgment.
Elecraft, FLEX, TEN-TEC and many other companies listen to his suggestions.
Those who don't work with him so closely are coincidently the ones whose
transmitters are polluting our bands!

Clearly Elecraft has shown us the path.
I hope others will follow and even use this technology in the lower cost
radios.

In any case I applaud everyone participating in this discussion.
It is high time we discuss this topic as a technical topic, rather than
blaming it on some LID ham.

Maybe some of the others should start their own group and reminisce on the
past.
I would probably join it.  I enjoy that too.
But THIS group has always been one of the better discussion groups on the
web and topics like this are the reason why.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)