Re: [TenTec] Dirty Transmitters - Flex and Yaesu

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Dirty Transmitters - Flex and Yaesu
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 20:10:12 -0800
On Wed,12/9/2015 7:27 PM, Kim Elmore wrote:
I'm not sure I understand the point of this. True "state of the art" can become hideously expensive.

You are confusing "bleeding edge, highly advertised, gold plated" with what the FCC intends. My point is that the Kenwood TS590S is NOT hideously expensive -- it's a very moderately priced, full-featured rig that is also pretty clean (not as clean as a K3, but quite good).

AND -- the most expensive Yaesu and ICOM rigs ARE DIRTY RIGS. They are dirty because they don't do the simple things needed to make them clean, which mostly involves carefully shaping the keying waveform to minimize clicks. That doesn't require cost, it requires SMARTS!

73, Jim K9YC