Re: [TenTec] re. 208 audio filter

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] re. 208 audio filter
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 14:50:54 +0100
Careful!  You don't want an audio filter that connects outside of the
audio-derived AGC loop.

The SCAF-1 connects to the audio output of the radio, which is OUTSIDE of
the AGC loop.
The NESCAF appears to be similar.

These filters that were made to plug into the audio output of the
transceiver cannot simply be inserted into the low power audio chain of the
Argonaut.  You need a filter designed to work at those signal levels.

If you use these two filters as they were designed, they will filter the
audio as they should but they will not prevent the receiver's AGC from
pumping due to strong neighboring signals.  The proper filter type works
quite effectively at preventing this pumping.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)