[TenTec] INFORMATION ABOUT VERTICAL ANTENNAS

To: "TenTec" <TenTec@yahoogroups.com>, <Ten-Tec-Omni-VII@yahoogroups.com>, <TenTec_Eagle@yahoogroups.com>, <karcgroup@yahoogroups.com>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>, <atlantaradioclub@yahoogroups.com>, <ten_tec_radio_net@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [TenTec] INFORMATION ABOUT VERTICAL ANTENNAS
From: "John Occhipinti" <k3ur@att.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 12:44:17 -0500
I have been getting a lot of questions about my Vertical Antenna. I speak
purely from my own personal experience of being an Amateur Radio
Operator for the past 39 years.

My 42 foot Hygain All Band Vertical is just 1 of my antennas. I also have a

Hygain Long John 4 Element 20 Meter Monoband Beam, 50 feet high
on a Universal Aluminum Tower and a

Radio Works Full Wave Loop All Band Antenna.

I also use an Ameritron AL-1200 Legal Limit Amplifier.

Let me address my Vertcal Antenna setup. It is 42 feet high and I have
30 radials, with each radial being 35 feet long, going out in a fan type
direction, for a total of over 1000 feet of radials.

When I am running the TEN-TEC 20 meter SSB net, I use my Monoband
20 meter beam. When I switch to my Full Wave Loop, the signals drop about 2dB.
When I switch to the Vertical Antenna the signal drops around 5dB and the weaker
stations cannot be heard.

When I am running the TEN-TEC 40 meter net, I use the Full Wave Loop. When
I switch to the Vertical Antenna the signal drops about 4 to 5 dB and the weaker
stations cannot be heard.

The VSWR is good on all antennas, so the point I am trying to make is that my
Vertical Antenna is a compromise antenna for me at my location.

I know that I have worked many stations using a Vertical Antenna and the people
"swear" by them. Most of these people live in restricted zone areas and
cannot put up a beam/tower or a long wire or dipole.

So what do they base their statements on, if they do not have another antenna
to compare it with?

I know that some Vertical Antenna users will not agree with me and that is their
right to do so. I just wanted to respond with a blanket post to address all
those
who have been contacting me about Vertical Antennas.

I have never lived in a restricted zone area or sub-divison, but I still can
empathize
with those who are forced to use Verticals and Flagpoles or even Wires in their
attic. If this works for you, I say God bless you for finding a way to get your
signal
out and enjoy your hobby.

Thank you for your time.

 John D. Occhipinti, K3UR
Net Manager, ten_tec Amateur Radio Nets

QRZ Page:  http://www.qrz.com/db/k3ur

Group Owner, ten_tec Amateur Radio Net Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ten_tec_radio_net/

SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/john-occhipinti-k3ur/sets/brotherjohns-most-popular

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/john.occhipinti.14