Re: [TenTec] Hercules II fault

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hercules II fault
From: Gary J FollettDukes HiFi <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 08:35:20 -0600
On the Bias Board is the Fan Driver. This provides an adjustable drive voltage
for the fan.

The op amp that acts as the control is U3A feeding U3B to Q1.

U3A receives signals from either of the two power amp boards via the Fan Diode
inputs from each power amp.

The schematic for the power amp(s) appears to me to be incorrectly drawn. D1
and D3 are shown as being thermally connected to Q2 and Q4 respectively.
However, while the Bias Board schematic shows inputs for two Fan Diodes, the
Power Amp schematic designates one of the thermally linked diodes as a Bias
1Diode while he other amplifier designates the same respective diode D3 as a
Fan Diode. This seems to be an error.

Their job is to sense the temperatures of those transistors and then turn the
fan on (or up) to cool the devices.

The manual states that the only things that activate the FAULT light are
overdrive and excessive drive (transient) and over voltage, overcorrect,
amplifier unbalance and disabled band selected (latching).

There is no mention of overtemp as a FAULT condition.

It is not likely that overtemp is your issue at turn-on anyway.

I am not certain if the fan is suppose to run all of the time, I assume it
should and that the Fan Diodes only serve to increase airflow at overtime.

In your experience using this amp, does the fan stay on all of the time that it
is powered under normal conditions?

With zero drive, does it still key when your transceiver goes into transmit?

Most likely you have a transient power up problem, likely on the power
Distribution Board, but I need to know the answers to the questions to go any
further.

he fact that the FAULT light goes out suggests that you are no longer in FAULT
condition but we need to be sure.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU APPLY ANY DRIVE TO THIS AMP UNTIL ITS PROBLEM
IS RESOLED!

Gary
W0DVN