Re: [TenTec] Model 411 amp (aka Centaur)

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Model 411 amp (aka Centaur)
From: P C Andy Anderson <xtraham58@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 16:52:20 +0000
Joe, I had a similar problem with my Centurion AMP.  It eventually failed
completely. The secondary of the power transformer shorted to the frame. I had
the Xformer rewound at TRS.  BTW this transformer problem is a known.

73' Andy, W3LI

Tuesday noontime, Joe:

I have a Centaur..............keep it covered when not in use.

My Elmer told me to always keep it covered..................dust is the
problem.

Even when covered, open it up every two-three years and do a internal
cleaning.

N1MHC/alsirois

Gents,

Have any of you gone a few rounds with a Centaur amp?
I have a one that blows fuses very intermittently. It vaporizes them both,
simultaneously, so it's apparently a dead-short somewhere. This happens even
in stand-by. (i.e. No key-down)

Before I tear into it, anyone have any ideas of common failures in these
amps?

Later, Joe, K8MP