Re: [TenTec] USB RFI

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] USB RFI
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 16:32:51 -0800
On Mon,2/15/2016 3:07 PM, Stuart Rohre wrote:
Granted that Radio Shack's parts supply is meager at best, is there someone who has taken on the supplier role Amidon used to offer for hams?

Amidon has always been a rip-off source, selling stuff at 5x their cost, using invented part numbers to conceal that fact. They're still there and still doing it, along with several others. Not recommended. Like I said in my previous post, there are part numbers and recommended vendors in Appendix One of my tutorial. They are standard industrial sources, and like all such sources, we need to buy in quantity to get good prices.

There's no reason not to buy in quantity -- in today's world, you can easily use a dozen or more in a short time once you've identified the noise sources. And we can organize a quantity purchase with local ham clubs to build more quantity.

73, Jim K9YC

Most hams won't have a real electronics wholesale company nearby any more, even before the Shack went away from components to mostly phones.

One of the staples for general sniffing here is a one inch diameter coil on a form with both ends brought to a coax with scope end connector. The coil wound with 2 inches of enameled wire, which is enough to pick up near a cable and let you see on a scope if a shielded cable leaks signals that cause problems.

This came out of a bulletin put out for years by Perfection Mica Corp. maker of Mu Metal cans and boxes and different foil shielding materials.

Their shielding tape allowed us to create a shielded attache case for transporting recorded digital VHS tapes used in a proprietary recording system for ocean acoustics noise. The case inside was lined with the stick on tape as a mu metal shield.

-Stuart
K5KVH