Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec 229A Tuner Value

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec 229A Tuner Value
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 15:14:27 -0800
On Wed,2/17/2016 9:46 AM, Gary H. Harmon, Jr. wrote:
Is there a written mod somewhere about replacing the caps and which ones?

I've seen recommendations to replace all of the fixed caps with doorknobs. That's a bit of overkill. :)

I ran my Ten Tec 229 and 238 tuners at legal limit, and there were several caps that eventually blew. I don't remember exactly which ones, but I do remember one that was at the rear of the bandswitch. I'm using surplus HV caps with relatively low temperature coefficients (N750 or N330), low ESR (equiv series resistance) and high current handling. The caps I use came from browsing the aisles at this surplus house. It's unlikely that you can do any good online.

http://www.halted.com/

73, Jim K9YC