Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec 229A Tuner Value

To: "k9yc@arrl.net" <k9yc@arrl.net>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec 229A Tuner Value
From: Clayton Brantley via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 01:25:51 +0000 (UTC)
Jim:  The 229/238 will run at legal limit for quite a while on almost all
bands.  The problemrears it's head on 160 meters where you might run into some
weird mis-matches.  At lowpower it seems to work OK but at hight power, the .01
disc caps just cannot handle the
current.  I found some Russian caps for around $30 to replace the stock caps.
Now my229A remains quite cool.  I believe this thing will tune the proverbial
wet noodle in a copperbox!  I have had several match boxes over the years and I
will not part with this one.
If you do not use 160 meters, then this mod is un-needed.

73 Clayton N4EV