Re: [TenTec] Paragon Issue Stumps Me

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon Issue Stumps Me
From: Gary J FollettDukes HiFi <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 22:28:30 -0600
The frequency readout in a Paragon is NOT a frequency counter. It is simply
reading  the BCD image of the frequency that the CPU is telling the synthesizer
to generate.

If it is “scanning”, than the circuit that reads the VFO encoder and sends the
information to the PLL is not operating correctly. This circuit reads the
pulses from the encoder to change the divider in the PLL loop (via the CPU) to
generate the local oscillator frequency. The PLL may indeed be ramping but only
because it is being told to do so.

Sadly the most likely candidate for failure in this case is the CPU…

Gary

W0DVN