Re: [TenTec] Hello! (Now speaker distortion problem in O II)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hello! (Now speaker distortion problem in O II)
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 14:33:00 -0500
Bob, I would wonder if you are having capacitor coupled speaker problem.

If a DC current surge hits the speaker coil, the surge might cause the coil of the cone to react so extremely as to temporarily cause the coil to deflect off center and even stick. Hence the distortion and time to recover. The speaker coupling capacitor should have a bleed off mechanism, and not be all AC coupled, else the coupling cap could charge up and deflect the speaker from previous operation time. This might be a resistor across the speaker of a high value, so the the coupling cap does not stay charged up. I think I would also cut the lead on one side of the cap and check the cap for leakage, then restore the cut lead point with a bridge of solder.

-Stuart Rohre
K5KVH