[TenTec] Intermittent loss of sensitivity on Orion 566 upon PTT switchin

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Intermittent loss of sensitivity on Orion 566 upon PTT switching
From: Mike Schatzberg <cherokeehillfarm@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 01:38:01 -0400
Hello Yaesu Fans:

My normally reliable O2, sometimes returns from transmit to receive with a
lower sensitivity.  Switching back to transmit, and again to receive, the
normal sensitivity returns.

It appears as if I have a dirty contact on a relay, and have to exercise it for
better contact.

Looking at the schematics, I see there is a reed relay, K6, which appears to
perhaps be the most likely candidate to be at fault.  This relay is on the A1
board, the low pass filter board.

Before I take everything apart, and start looking (there are no pictorials for
component placement information), has anyone had a similar problem with their
O2?  Any information as to board location, and degree of difficulty in removing
this relay, if indeed it was your issue, would be appreciated.

I guess since this radio is circa 2006, and I use QSK switching, and always use
VOX, I can’t be too surprised that this high speed relay might need replacement
by now.

Thank you for any possible input.

73,

Mike