Re: [TenTec] OT: Question to the group

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Question to the group
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 20:25:33 -0700
Not necessarily -- it depends on your style of operation and what else you own. My Titans will get within a dB of legal limit with 50W drive. It takes only 28W to drive my KPA500 to its full power of 600W.

I mostly run high power for serious contesting, QRP when I'm not serious, and 100W only for NAQP, which is limited to 100W. During the week, I mostly use the KPA500, which is solid state, so instant on. The Titans only get turned on during the week when I'm competing with an east coast or EU wall for a DXpedition that's much closer to them than me.

I think the 50W vs 100W is more of a psychological barrier for the guy that owns an amp.

73, Jim K9YC