Re: [TenTec] OT: Question to the group

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Question to the group
From: "Vic Klein" <vhklein@ptd.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 06:21:25 -0400
Actually, that sounds pretty good to me. My Omni VII spends more time at 50w
than at 100 as that is where it sits to drive my amp and where I usually
operate for digital modes. However, I imagine the 50w rig would need to run
at 25w for the latter? Still, the price is very good for those specs. For
years my main rig was a Triton I with only 50w and I worked the world with
that. After all, it is only a half an S-unit down if all things are equal.

That said, I imagine it would not be popular with new hams, even at the
price. Without operating experience the 50w difference seems huge. I've seen
some go for a 70w 2m rig instead of a 50w just for the extra power when that
is all but imperceptible on 2m FM. They buy from basic features with weight
given to what they understand...like more power is better, but they may not
understand noise floors and such. If I was considering to build this, I
think I would find a way to get it to 100w to appear more competitive with,
for example, and IC-7300.

=Vic=
WA4THR