Re: [TenTec] Orion II repair

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II repair
From: Howard Smith <jhsmith1024@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2016 23:13:58 -0500
Hi Gary,
I wonder if one of the keys may be stuck in the 'pressed' state. I did an experiment, and if I press and hold a key, then none of the small encoders will work, but the VFO encoders still work. Also, the small encoders will the update when I release the key that I pressed.

While this does not track with you statement that changing the CPU board fixes the problem, it does duplicate your problem. While it is tedious, you may try this with every key, and discover that it does not happen with some key. That key may be the problem.

You might also look at the connectors between the CPU board and the Keypad board. Maybe a little deoxit on those pins would help.

Finally, try sending the serial string '?V<cr>' while it is in its problem state. It should reply with the following text: "Version 3.032x7b-565<cr>". This can be easily done using a terminal emulator program like PUTTY. When I tried this on my Orion 2, the string appeared even though a key was pressed. Yes, I know, the test was not on the Orion, but the two radios are virtually identical in both hardware and firmware for the test.

Hope this thought helps.

73..
Howard, WA9AXQ