Re: [TenTec] Orion II repair

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II repair
From: Gary J FollettDukes HiFi <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 07:58:17 -0500
More new information:

When I mentioned that the encoders work for the first second or so after the
boot sequence has completed, the “A” is selected. When the S meter “bump”
occurs=, then “B: gets selected on the display, and the encoders stop working
for 15 minutes.

When the radio starts to operate correctly, it is still in the “B” mode so the
band buttons change the band of the sub receiver at this point. Pressing the
A/B button for two seconds corrects this situation and the band buttons then
control the main receiver.

I am pretty sure the problem is not in the 4 to 16 line multiplexer as this is
an output that selects which switch is being read at a given moment. Even if
that chip were operating improperly, the A/B switch would need to be pressed
(or shorted) in order for the “A” to “B” transition to take place.

Gary

PS: This radio probably is not really worth all this time but I am learning a
lot about the operation of radio control circuitry so this exercise is worth
the effort for that reason. Maybe my observations help others as well...