Re: [TenTec] Really?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Really?
From: Joe <kx4jr@att.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 18:28:33 -0400
Tnx, Rick.....

Really appreciate ur email (below).  Nothing else to be said...

Again, Tnx & 73

Joe, KXJR

On 8/15/2016 18:13, rick@dj0ip.de wrote:
Tim, you are right (only) about the 7300.  Most hams will not have a problem
with the 7300 because they do not operate in the environment where they
would get this problem.

Even if they do come to a big pile up in a contest where the radio tends to
overload, most operators prefer to quickly spin the VFO and move on.  I
choose to dive down into the mess with my Eagle and work whoever is causing
the pile up.

Understanding our radios, where they are good and where they have
deficiencies, is part of the due diligence we all should be doing BEFORE we
purchase.  We know how we operate, know which features we want and we should
buy whatever fits best - not what people are over-hyping.

There is no perfect radio, nothing comes close if we want it to do
everything.  They all have strengths and weaknesses.
But if we can identify one that best fits our needs, it is close to being a
perfect radio for us.

Some of you politically correct people out there may find it "trashing a
radio" when we point out deficiencies, but I believe we are helping free
thinking hams to make more intelligent decisions about which radio fits
his/her needs best.

I have recommended the IC-7300 to lots of people.  I think it is a great
radio, a game changer indeed but you guys who think it is a serious contest
radio apparently aren't serious contesters.

If someone asks my opinion of what (new) contest radio to buy, my first
reply is a "K3S if you can afford it", or else a TS-590SG.  The best bang
for the buck is a used ORION I.

As to the transmitter noise problem Tim, we have terrible trouble with dirty
transmitters on our bands, especially when they drive linear amplifiers.  If
we hams don't speak up and keep pointing this out, they will never get them
fixed.

The only reason our receivers got to be so good is that we were all focused
on the work Rob Sherwood and Adam Farson are doing.  The OEMs took noticed
and cleaned up their receivers.

We CAN accomplish the same thing with our transmitters if we ALL start
pointing out the dirty radios on the band. Yasue is at the top of the dirty
transmitter list.  There are lists/charts, etc., mostly based on ARRL lab
measurements.

I WILL CONTINUE TO ROCK THE BOAT AS LONG AS THE OEMs CONTINUE TO BUILD AND
SELL DIRTY TRANSMITTERS!
I hope some of you guys join in and help.

As long as the OEMs continue to read comments like Tims, they will just sit
back and laugh at us while they take our money to the bank.

Sorry Tim, it's not personal but dirty transmitters is a very HOT button
with me.
At my last QTH we had 3 hams on the same block and one had a very dirty
Kenwood.
It was hard to operate whenever he was on the air on any band.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)