Re: [TenTec] Reflector Buy-Back program

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Reflector Buy-Back program
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 08:27:47 +0200
Gary,

Direct Sampling technology is not just for receivers.
The transmitters I have seen so far have all been significantly cleaner, at
least as far as broadband noise goes, than most of our recent transceivers out
of Japan.  I don't know about their keying spectrum.

Good dynamic range with direct sampling radios is not a future, it is here
today.
However we need to understand that.

When we say "good dynamic range", it is because Rob Sherwood has moved our
focus to the 3rd order dynamic range of our receivers, which was the single
most important indicator of a radio's ability to copy a weak signal in the
presence of one or more near-by strong signals.  At least it was in the old
heterodyning radios.  But that has changed now.

With direct sampling, DR3 is not an indication of the ultimate performance of
the radio.  There are other factors, like efficiency of implementing firmware
code.  The 7300 is in position 12 (I believe) on Rob's list.  This means it is
12th best in DR3.  As far as being able to copy weak signals in the presence of
strong, it would be much further down the list.  So DR3 is no longer an
indicator of a radio's performance.

I know of at least two cases where Multi-Multi stations have compared direct
sampling radios to K3 and found them significantly better in not crunching from
the local RF in the air from their other 5 transmitters.  One case was the K3,
not the S.  I don't recall which version the other compared to.

I jokingly say, Direct Sampling has made yesterday's tomorrow today.

It's not fair to accuse Flex of bringing out new radios every 6 months.  They
do not do that.

Flex has had two families of SDR radios.  The first ones (1500/3000/5000) were
not direct sampling and required computers to do a lot of the labor (number
crunching).  The second family (6300/6500/6700) are direct sampling and the
computer is primarily only used for display and control, not for number
crunching.

The expectation level was that the first generation would make old heterodyning
technology obsolete.  That did not happen and never will.

The current direct sampling radios have made old heterodyning technology
obsolete.
Unless some OEM has a brand new heterodyning radio just about to announce, I
doubt if we see any more.  The market is in the middle of a full transition to
direct sampling radios.  Prices will come down soon.

Those of you complaining about this thread not pertaining to Ten-Tec are
hopelessly lost.  It has EVERYTHING to do with Ten-Tec's potential to survive.

We are discussing exactly the technology which Ten-Tec should be working on.
IMO, if they bring out old heterodyning radios again at this late stage in the
game, rather than direct sampling radios, they won't last another year in the
ham radio business. Well perhaps their service department will, servicing old
radios.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)