Re: [TenTec] Ear Phone Audio

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ear Phone Audio
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 09:27:04 -0700
On Thu,8/25/2016 2:16 AM, Barry N1EU wrote:
Point of information:  when I owned an Orion 565, I also used Sennheiser
HD280 headphones.  I needed to crank AF Gain to maximum to get decent
volume.  I spoke with the factory and they told me there were series
limiting resistors at the headphone jack and I might want to lower the
resistance of said resistors.  I believe I cut the value of those resistors
in half and was very happy with the extra volume.
Those are the resistors I spoke of that protect the output stage from being shorted when phones are inserted in the jack. It sounds like the design might be overly conservative.

My guess is this is what might be happening here - nothing is actually
broken, but maybe I'm wrong.

An important question is the one that I learned to ask when being trained to do field service on complicated systems. "If the damn thing was working yesterday and it ain't working today, there can't be that much wrong with it, so what changed?" If the loss of loudness occurred when a different set of headphones was used, I'd suspect the resistors. If it's same headphones, it ain't the resistors. :)

73, Jim K9YC