[TenTec] ARGONAUT 515 problem

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] ARGONAUT 515 problem
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 04:51:42 +0200
Meanwhile, back at Ten-Tec . . .

I have just received an Argonaut 515 in fairly good shape, just needing a
tune-up.

However it does have one minor issue which has me stumped.

On 80m I could hear lots of strong signals but all sounding like Donald
Duck.

I switched to SB-R which should normally place the rig in USB mode and
everything worked just fine.

On 40m, and all other bands, I switch back to SB-N and everything is fine.

I haven't checked transmit yet to see if the wrong mode is only selected in
RX or if it is also during TX.

What is curious to me is, the mode switch is labeled for SB-Normal and
SB-Reverse, yet the signal input to the SSB generator board for switching
these is simply called LSB.

What I am unable to find is how the position of the bandswitch can pass a
signal through the mode switch to tell it when to enable or disable this LSB
line.  That must be the source of the problem.

I believe  this is very similar to the Triton IV so perhaps someone with
that radio understands how this works.

Tnx.

73

Rick, DJ0IP