Re: [TenTec] Post to the Amps Reflector from Dishtronix

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Post to the Amps Reflector from Dishtronix
From: Darrell Bellerive <ve7iu@runbox.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 07:55:55 -0700
DSP and SDR terminology seems to be used interchangeably a lot. I think the lines dividing this classification tend to be rather blurry. I'm not sure we can define a truly "SDR" radio.

There are two aspects to consider:

One is the user interface, whether the radio has front panel controls or not. At the extremes we have the Flex, Pegasus, and Kachina on one end of this line, and radios like the Kenwood TS-830, and all pre-computer controlled radios on the other end of the line.

In between are radios that have some front panel controls and also computer control. Radios like the recent Flex radios can also be said to be the other way around with computer control and optional front panel type controls.

In this aspect, radios with a computer connected, software is defining some or all of the user interface.

The other aspect is the signal processing. In pre-computer days, all signal processing was done with analogue hardware. Little by little more digital techniques were added. The early years saw digital filtering such as switch capacitance audio filtering (SCAF) and the beginning of software controlled audio digital signal processing (DSP). This progressed into DSP at the IF level, and in the latest incarnation, direct sampling and processing of the signals right from the antenna.

Where do we draw the line? Is a radio an SDR because it has no front panel controls and software creates a virtual front panel on a computer screen? If DSP techniques are used at the audio or IF level, software is used to create the filters, and modulation/demodulation (in the case if IF DSP), is this software defined radio? If we directly sample an antenna, and do all processing in DSP, does this make it an SDR? What happens if we install a bandpass filter between the antenna and the the analogue to digital converters? This bandpass filter is now analogue signal processing. Does this negate the classification as an SDR? Do we limit SDR to only radios that do not have analogue mixers?

I do not think there is an easy answer to the classification of SDR. See the Wikipedia article on Software-defined radio for more information at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software-defined_radio.

73, Darrell VE7IU