Re: [TenTec] Fiberglass poles?

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Fiberglass poles?
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2016 08:45:12 +0100
GM Doc,

You threw me a curve ball with that "Inverted WYE".  Had to look it up.
I think it could be better called an simply "Inverted Y".  One up, two
diagonally down.

This is very similar to the old Triple Leg we used for years and years in
the US Army, except we had 3 legs sloping down. Each were made of jeep
whips, but of course you can use wire.

You can resonate all the wires but in your space, you would only be able to
do 20m or above.  A 40m version would have to long of legs.

You need to tell us which bands you want to work and how much power you plan
to run.

One of my favorites (since I'm an openwire fan) is the short, openwire fed
Triple Leg.
This is described in great detail on Martin's (DK7ZB) web site:
http://www.qsl.net/dk7zb/Vertikal/tripleleg.htm

Lots of German hams use this antenna on their vacation expeditions.
It will basically work all bands from 40m and up, but you need a matchbox on
all bands.
Martin used an auto-tuner to match his.

This antenna has 1 vertical radiator 7m (23') long - length not too
critical, and then 3 slanting radials each 7m long. With a 12m Spiderpole,
this would place the feedpoint 5m (16 ft.) in the air.  Then run the 3 legs
to a fence or anywhere.

The antenna will work with 1, 2, or 3 radials. The more the merrier.

However in order to answer "how well it works", I have to ask "how well does
it work what?"
Working DX is one case.  Working local 40m stations during the day is quite
another.

If you want to work 40m and space is a problem, one antenna I have used and
was happy with is what I call the 1-Arm Bandit.  The idea was proposed by
Les Moxon long ago.  It is a slightly extended quarter wavelength vertical
with a single folded radial.   This saves a lot of space.  You will find a
full description here:
http://www.dj0ip.de/vertical-antennas/40m-minimum-space/

Over the years I have had plenty of people in your situation ask me what to
do.
My most popular suggestion by far and away has been the openwire-fed short
vertical dipole using the 12m Spiderbeam fiberglass pole.  This antenna will
work very good on 40 thru 10m and even get you on 80m with a useful signal.
See: http://www.dj0ip.de/my-favorite-antennas/all-bands-vertical/
It needs a matchbox and you can try various auto tuners.  The auto tuners
should work on 40 thru 10.  Not sure if they will work on 80m.
I have matched this with a Johnson Viking Matchbox, MFJ-974 Balaonced
Matchbox, KW-EZEE Match, and often using an external 1:1 Guanella balun and
a simple T-Match (Ultramatch) matchbox.  (Of these, the MFJ-974 worked best
- found a match on all bands all the time).

The beauty is, you can put it up and down in minutes if you are allowed to
leave a stake in the ground all the time.
Simply strap it to the stake with a couple of small straps, or tie it with
rope.

Again Doc, please tell us what bands, how much power, and where you wish to
work, then we can possible come up with some other ideas for you.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)