Re: [TenTec] Orion II tone at 7030, 14030

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II tone at 7030, 14030
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 09:49:24 -0700
The birdies around 14030, 21052, and on the low end of 10M and 6M are generated by one of the older protocols running on wired Ethernet systems. The RF is conducted onto the cables and radiated by those cables. it can be suppressed by ferrite chokes on those cables. If the cables are longer than about a quarter wave, chokes are required on both ends.  The worst offending hardware can also radiate from its internal wiring due to poor shielding and poor circuit layout. The only fix for that is my patented bucket treatment.

The clocks that produce these birdies are stable, but their frequency is established inside the router or Ethernet switch. If you have neighbors, you'll hear your them on frequencies slightly different from yours. Identify which one is yours by killing power to your router or Ethernet switch to note which one goes away.

Lots of detail on this and how to wind the ferrite chokes in

k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

and http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf

73, Jim K9YC