Re: [TenTec] FW: orion vs. orion II

To: Barry N1EU <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] FW: orion vs. orion II
From: Mark van Wijk <pa5mw@home.nl>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 12:43:03 +0200 (CEST)
I have had both Orion models and believe there is some small audible difference.

For my Orion fw 1.375b, using the 600Hz Inrad crystal filter at the 1K pos,  I
very much like its 100Hz  (actually it is about 155Hz) for reading the weakest
signals on 160m. CW. The OII using fw 3.XX and 4-pole 300Hz, offers a slightly
tighter DSP filter.

The ORION is the only RX for which I can manually (VFO)scan the 160m band at
100Hz DSP BW, totally ringing-free and not missing any tiny CW signal. Normally
you would scan the band at wider BW for sure and I often forget to return to
200-400Hz BW when scanning the band.  It is THAT good.  I "blame" the Orion's
ability to read weak signals so well because of their 'analog shaped' DSP
filtercurve.

See filter-curves
at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/pa5mw/sets/72157632258734283

Here you will find sound curves 0-2000Hz showing 300Hz set filter curves for
the TS590, IC746(2x400Hz crystal without and with DSP-Wide), OII, Orion and tow
different K2's at 400Hz without and with 120Hz analog APF

73

Mark, PA5MW