Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+
From: MadScientist1948 <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2018 10:10:50 -0500
The DSP would not cause your problem as described. If the DSP were dead, you
would get no audio and no noise.

First make sure you are not selecting a filter that is not present in the
radio. The reset should have corrected for any errant selections but make sure
anyway.

Then remove the bottom inner cover. Touch the crystal filter pins with a long
piece of wire which will act as a noise antenna.

Touching the pins of the filters on both the 6.3 MHz board and the 9 MHz board
should produce very noticeable noise increase when you touch them. Only two
pins will produce noise, the others are ground pins.

Once you determine if you get noise all the way back to the input of the 9 MHz
board main crystal filter, remove the TMP cable from connector 25 and poke your
noise antenna wire in there. If you get no noise at this point, even though you
got noise at the 9 MHz filter input, likely your local oscillator is not
reaching the front end board.

Repot back on your tests and we’ll go from there to troubleshoot the Local
Oscillator.

Do you have access to an oscilloscope?

Gary