Re: [TenTec] Omni V

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni V
From: Ken Brown <kenradiobrown@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 09:10:48 -1000
What you really want to know is whether the receiver is performing
properly. I wouldn't mess with the S meter adjustments until I had a better
confidence that the gain from the RF input to the place the S meter
indicates the level is up to par. To really know you need to use
instruments. A signal generator with calibrated amplitude and something to
measure  IF power level where the S meter monitors it.

With minimal equipment you could make a comparison of the two radios. With
a fixed level CW input signal, even of unknown level, you could compare the
audio level across the high and low terminals of the volume potentiometer
to see if the two radios have similar overall gain. You could use an
oscilloscope or an AC voltmeter (DMM in AC millivolt range) to measure the
audio level there That would give you a clue as to whether the radio with
the low S meter reading has lack of gain.

If the gain between the RF input and the S meter is lower than it should
be, you want to fix that first, then adjust the S meter.

There are various standards for what S9 should be. 50uV for S9 is common.

DE N6KB

DE N6KB