Re: [TenTec] Omni 5, Omni 6 5.0 to 5.5 MHz PLL saga -- for the repair ar

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni 5, Omni 6 5.0 to 5.5 MHz PLL saga -- for the repair archive, except for the editorial comments
From: MadScientist <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2018 11:19:41 -0500
Well, I charge $80 per hour. However, with the occasional “tough dogs”, I limit
the repair cost at an upper amount, based on the radio. In the case of an Omni
6 or similar, that limit is $250. Orion’s  (and similar) are a bit higher.

My reasoning is that, first, I have maybe 2 - 3 hours invested. Completing the
repair ensures that I will at least get paid for that time, even if I need to
use more than $250 for the repair. Often, as was the case with this radio, I
learn something that will pay off on the next similar radio.

Secondly, I hope that most of my repairs do not even take an hour but the
repair minimum of $80 ($150 for an Orion or similar) makes the effort worth my
time. Like buying and selling, if the overall average yield fails to meet my
expectations, I will simply stop doing it.

73

Gary