Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Howling Noise

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Howling Noise
From: "Brian Roberts" <k9vky@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 20:19:46 -0400
Thanks for the reply, Bob. Yes, I've done all the connectors with De-Oxit and I thought that did the trick, but the howling noise came back after about a week.

Brian

Have you done a recent "connector cleaning"?. If not, I'd say it is time to do so. Just sitting there, internally the connector contacts will oxidize after 30 or so years.

So, one at a time, unplug each connector, then using a Q-Tip moistened with contact cleaner, scrub the male pins. Then plug the connector in and out a couple of times to wipe the female pins. Be sure you have aligned the connector correctly and that it is fully inserted. Move on to the next connector. Usually this method will correct a very large part of intermittent and strange issues.

NEVER spray anything into the radio, connectors, IC sockets and such.

73

Bob, K4TAX