Re: [TenTec] Fwd: Re: TenTec] Omni VI+: low TX and RX on 12 meters

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Fwd: Re: TenTec] Omni VI+: low TX and RX on 12 meters
From: Malcolm McLeman <f5vbu@cegetel.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2019 08:14:29 +0100
Excellent news Phil and one of the "solder sucker" points I was about to send you.
Other...
Before faulty component extraction firstly bear in mind any excessive heat from solding-iron to the tinned copper track will easily/disastrously lift the track from the pcb.
If possible isolate each connecting leg of the faulty component and
after extraction carefully "suck" any excess solder from the track side connection. For the new component replacement and without undue pressure re-drill the existing hole from the screen side all the way thru any remaining solder blocking the track side connection. I cannot emphasise enough the word "carefully" and have found (link below) these little handraulic drill bits an excellent tool for the re-drill process. Pcb screen side faulty component extraction I find a crocodile clip to the leg with small length of attached insulated wire to give location and additional pull an ideal tool. The Omni VI is no spring chicken and I have a spare LPF board ready for immediate replacement when needs must and my apols if above comes across as trying to teach my Granny how to suck eggs.
73/GL
Malcolm/F5VBU

https://www.amazon.co.uk/10pcs-Helical-Groove-Tungsten-Carbide/dp/B00PZYFRLI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1546583790&sr=8-9&keywords=pcb+drill+bits