[TenTec] Omni-D Frequency Displays First Two Digits are Off

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Omni-D Frequency Displays First Two Digits are Off
From: <forum4ll@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 04:31:55 +0000 (UTC)
Hello,
I ran into a problem with this Omni-D after solving the whining problem on the
frequency counter. The frequency display is incorrect for 10, 14, 21, 28, and
29 mhz. Any 10mhz frequency will read 18mhz higher or 28 mhz. For 14, 21, 28,
and 29 mhz, they will read 8mhz lower or  06, 13, 20, and 21mhz. Earlier, I
made a mistake plugging in the Preset-Amp (80465) to the Display board (80440)
where I was off by one pin. After correcting this, I noticed 10mhz frequencies
were reading 18mhz higher. So I tore into this area again and tested the
components on the Preset-Amp, based on my reading of the manual is where the
first two digits are assigned, and the transistors, diodes and resistors tested
fine although I did not test the ceramic caps. Putting it all back together, I
now have this situation where 10mhz still reads 28 and bands above that are
reading 8mhz lower. Still I know something is damaged just by the behavior when
powering up. When power is turned on and the frequency band is switched to 14,
21, 28, or 29mhz, the display will appear correct for 5 to 30 seconds, then it
reverts back to its minus 8 mhz reading. Anyone have any clue what could be
wrong? I'm thinking of spraying some freon or a coolant on some of the
components in the Display counter to see if I can find the bad part. Any
suggestions is welcomed.

Note, the lower bands i.e. 1.5, 3, and 7mhz are fine. The Preset-Amp does not
affect the display of these frequencies.

LymanKK6LPW