Re: [TenTec] Omni-D with an Annoying 1khz Tone

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni-D with an Annoying 1khz Tone
From: MadScientist <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2019 22:18:17 -0600
The 560 pF capacitor you removed was the capacitor that enables the oscillator
in the 50398 to scan at a frequency around 4 KHz, which you could easily hear.
Removing that cap would get rid of your noise but likely kills the ability of
the chip to scan the preset data.

The band switch is what determines the first two digits of the Omni D readout
because this determines what preset is used in the counter to subtract or add 9
MHz IF to or from the LO frequency to get correct frequency on the display. All
bands below 10 MHz use one preset, 10 MHz uses another and the higher bands use
a third preset. Thus your problems on 10 through 29 MHz. This preset data is
not being read.

Put the 560 pF back in to determine if you can get back to proper operation of
the display.

Then look for decoupling capacitors, or improper grounds, that are not doing
their jobs of eliminating the annoying tone.

Killing the counter is not the solution…

73,

Gary