Re: [TenTec] Omni-D with an Annoying 1khz Tone

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni-D with an Annoying 1khz Tone
From: <forum4ll@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 23:07:15 +0000 (UTC)
 Carlos, et al.

After removing the magenta power wire from the logic board, the tone
was gone! So it is the frequency counter. I then checked the 1000mfd cap and
it tested fine for capacitance, ESR, and leakage. I disconnected C2, 560pf,
that connects pin 16 of MK50398N to Vcc. The tone was gone. The receiver
is working fine but in my haste in putting it back together, I was off by one
pin on the Preset Amp board to Display Board connection. The frequency
meter was reading weird. Correcting that, all the bands appeared fine except
the 10mhz band. It is picking up WWV on 10 mhz but it reads 28.0 mhz.
The whole band now read 28.0 to 28.5mhz instead of 10 to 10.5mhz.

I need to check the components on the Preset Amp board. Any suggestions
are welcomed.

Lyman KK6LPW