Re: [TenTec] Orion display

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion display
From: Wayne via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 14:41:14 -0500

You might try hard reset see page 88 of manual.

is there someone who wil work on omni vii? I have a

minor vfo readout problem. I have replaced two of the decoder

controls myself they froze up would not turn.

---
W5KDJ - Wayne Rogers USNR (Ret.)
3DA0KDJ 5R8KD 7P8KDJ
A25KDJ C91KDJ SV0WWW
TF2WJN YI9PSE YN2KDJ
LoTW eQSL SASE EM20ck
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice
dogie!' until you can find a rock.

On 07/21/2019 12:35 pm, Steven Kline via TenTec wrote:

> Thanks Byron. Not sure web site will pass picture content. If not here is my
> email address, and would appreciate few. I've got to go thru same on my 565.
> I was actually reading your earlier post and thinking how lucky I've been
> with mine (I'm original owner). Went up the next day and there was line
> across screen and then it went blank. I'm going to check out power board and
> various voltages but am preparing for worse.
>
> My email: skline4@verizon.net <mailto:skline4@verizon.net>
>
> Thanks & 73
> Steve - W5JK
> On Jul 21, 2019, at 11:46 AM, Byron Cordes <byroncordes@icloud.com> wrote: No
> but I can I'm adding a PTT to the spare RCA jack in the back and adding a fan
> to speaker position. Have taking apart and put back together so many times
> it's easy now. Oh number 6 -32 screws 3/4 inch long work great to hold
> display ,just thread them into board. No nuts required! Maybe later to night
> I can post some pics not pretty but works . 73s AC9PA Byron Sent from my iPad
> On Jul 21, 2019, at 11:40 AM, Steven Kline via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
> wrote: Hi Byron, By any chance did you capture few pictures of process? Steve
> - W5JK On Jul 21, 2019, at 10:50 AM, Byron Cordes via TenTec
> <tentec@contesting.com> wrote: Hello everyone. My experience with changing
> Orion display . First off it works! I took me 3 hours . 27 minutes soldering
> 14 wires and the rest of time taking apart and putting back together.
> Measuring for standoffs took the longest time but now I know make them 3/32
> to 1/8 inch long
 er than
the stock. I used plastic standoffs from a repeater cabinet for the insulators.
I put them up against the stock board post and cut the new standoffs ,worked
well. New display came with ribbon cable tried to cut and separate but no luck
there. So removed ribbon cable . Soldered 14 bread board wires about 5 inches
long to the display. This was not easy , difficult for even a good tech, just
so small . I checked the connections and found pin 5 v+ wasn't soldered ! Must
of flew right by it .hihi Bought 90 pcb connector cut to 14 pins ,simple.
Soldered 14 wires from display to each pin not to bad . Trimmed the 14 stud
post off of cpu board so that 90 deg plug mates flat on board. Need all the
clearance you can get. Everything else is just putting back together. You will
probably have to adjust contrast control (it's on bottom of radio) Happy with
it ? I like the original better but this gets the radio back on air. When I get
some more time probably will download N4py software fore
  the
Orion. Hope this helps if anyone has a bad display. 73s AC9PA Byron Sent from

Links:
------