Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus problem, help requested?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus problem, help requested?
From: Malcolm McLeman <f5vbu@cegetel.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 16:03:13 +0100
Silly question... Same symptoms on dummy load? Malcolm F5VBu

On 2/13/2020 9:30 PM, John Swartz wrote:
I have an Omni VI Plus that has developed a problem on transmit. Can anyone on this list help me, please?

When I power up the transceiver, in CW mode (I only operate CW), it will generate 80-90 watts output with the PWR control fully clockwise. After several transmissions over a course of barely 10 minutes, power output progressively declines and the ALC light dims and goes out.  If I reduce the power setting to about 3/4 or less, the ALC light will come back, but power output will continue to decline and as it does so, the ALC light will continue to dim and extinguish.  This happens on all bands, but not at the same rate.  On 160, 80, 12 and 10 meters the decline is much more pronounced and rapid, 40, 30, 15 and 17 decline a bit less precipitously, and 20 less so.  Even so, after about 15 to 20 minutes of intermittent CW, there is very low output on any band and the ALC indicator does not light at all.

If I start operating at reduced power, I can rely on the output to maintain its level for a greater amount of time, but it does decline after a while, but I couldn't count on it for any extended operating period of more than, perhaps, 30 or 40 minutes.

Can anyone give me any ideas about what is going on, and how it might be fixed?  The receive function is not affected.  I would seriously like to keep this rig working if I can.

Thanks for your time and attention, 73, John WA9AQN