Re: [TenTec] Size of Ten-Tec grounding bolt

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Size of Ten-Tec grounding bolt
From: Bob McGraw <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2020 12:55:04 -0500
I suggest a slightly different approach regarding braided material.    I choose to use #10 AWG Auto Primary wire, green in color.    That is insulated wire where as braid is not insulated.   It is also very flexible and you can make each jumper to the exact length needed.    The insulated wire minimizes likely random contact with things on the back side of the station and any likely chance of creating ground loops.    I purchased a small roll, 25 ft as I recall, and a selection of crimp-on terminals for #10 wire from the Auto Parts Store.  These are ring terminals that fit over the ground screws.  I don't use Y type terminals.   I crimp and solder the terminals on the ends of the ground jumpers as needed.

As a rule, I find the ground screws on the equipment to be generally  #10 screws, although some may be #8 size.

In finality, I connect each piece of equipment to the station power supply which is my common point.   I do not daisy- chain ground straps from piece to piece of equipment.

73

Bob, K4TAX