Re: [TenTec] Argosy II problem

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argosy II problem
From: Reuben Burch <wa4zen@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 16:43:48 -0500
Mike, thanks for your reply. This radio has had the problem all its
life. I bought it from the original owner and received all the
purchase and service invoices that he could find. He bought it in 1987
and began to notice the issue immediately. A few months later he
shipped the radio back to Tectec and they replaced the PTO. In '93 it
went back but I only have the shipping invoice so don't know what they
did. In '98 it went back again and the PTO was rebuilt. I bought the
radio in '07 and was told of the issue but didn't really understand
what it meant; besides I wanted the radio. I operated mostly SSB for
several years and the issue caused minimal impact. However, I decided
to shift to CW and the issue was more than aggravating. In '10 I
contacted Paul at Tentec and he said the PTO needed to be rebuilt.
They could do it or I could so I decided to buy the PTO kit and do it
myself. I did discuss this with the previous owner at that time. He is
a great guy so no issues there. I found two of the replacement PTO
parts slightly worn but used all the new parts in the kit. After the
rebuild the issue was still there. Both before and after my rebuild
there never was any tuning issue, it was always smooth. The frequency
jumps around 1kHz, more or less, on all bands and the jump usually
lasts around 10 sec. but can last as long as 20-30 sec. I would really
like to get this fixed so I can use it on CW.

As I understand your suggestion, there may be some intermittent
connection with the PTO shaft and ground and the safety pin maintains
that connection? That is certainly worth a try. Thank you very much
for your input.

73,
Reuben
WA4ZEN