Re: [TenTec] Argosy 2

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argosy 2
From: Ken Brown <kenradiobrown@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2020 09:23:32 -1000
Hi Snowy,

     I guess I don't know exactly what your pig tail setup is. When you
connect to the collectors of the drivers do you mean you have your leads
paralleled across the primary windings of T3 loading the drivers with your
pigtail setup AND T3 simultaneously? Or are you disconnecting the T3
primary, and loading the collectors of the drivers only with your pig tail
setup? I guess at this point that is not really important since the power
levels you are measuring there are reasonable and confirm that the drivers
are working.

      I think I would have kept the T3 primary connected to the collectors
of the driver transistor and disconnected to secondary of T3 and connected
my wattmeter to the secondary of T3, without it also connected to the bases
of the finals. Maybe disconnecting L3 to remove the DC bias in case that
would have some undesirable effect on your wattmeter.. You could just
connect the output right there and run QRP without the finals.

     I have not been following this discussion real carefully, so please
excuse me if I ask questions you have already been over. Have you put a
milliammeter in series with L5 to measure the PA final current
independently of the driver current? If the bias circuit and the final
transistors are good you should be able to adjust R2 and see the current go
up and down when in TX mode, and go to near zero when not in TX mode. If
you can see the bias voltage at emitter of Q5 going up and down when
adjusting R2, but you don't see the final collector current going up and
down that would be an indication that the finals are toast.

      If on the other hand you do not see the bias voltage measured at Q5
emitter change as you adjust R2, and also switch on and off with TX and not
TX, then the final bias supply circuitry is not working. (Another
possibility is that the final base to emitter junctions are blown up and
presenting a near short circuit to the bias supply) Then you would want to
confirm that D1, D3, U1 and Q5 are all working. Starting at D1 you want to
see 5.6 Volts there when in TX mode. R2 should be able to set the voltage
at pin 3 of U1 from a minimum of whatever D3's forward voltage is ( about
0.6 or 0.7 volts I think ) and some slightly higher level like about 0.2
Volts higher (based on voltage divider formed by R6, R7 and R2)

     Maybe you've already been through all that. If so sorry for being
repetitive. Hope I have been helpful.

Ken N6KB