[TenTec] Argosy 2

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argosy 2
From: ROLAND HOWELL via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2020 22:20:31 +0100 (BST)

Hi All

still having problems with my Argosy 2, 6.8v on the tx connector (8) on mixer board in RX, have purchased another just to get voltage comparisons with, i swapped mixer boards and the donor radio appears to work, it transmits and receives, so i think the board is ok but??????????. i also have no RF out put, have checked it with my scope, i have a good output from the RF mixer to the PA drivers, a good out put from the drivers to the toroid transformer T3, if my memory serves, a lower output onto the base of the finals, mrf477,s.

That's as far as it goes, all transistors and U1 have been replaced, electrolytic's as well, not sure if Q5 MJE520 is good, i have purchased 17 more, in 2 batches, new old stock, when i tested the 1st batch of 12, silver leads, all had gain figures in double digits only, the 2nd batch purchased, gold leads, once again gain figures were lower in some cases that the 1st batch, only 1 of the 17 had a gain figure in triple digits.

Am i reading the test results correctly?.

The only thing i haven't changed are the 4 x 4700pf chip caps and the .1mf chip cap, does anybody know where i can purchase some from and what size are they, the are approx 1cm square.

Would love to get the radio working as it should but coming close to my limited knowledge.

As always any and all help is very welcome.

stay well and healthy

Snowy G0HZE