TopBand: Inverted V antenna on 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Inverted V antenna on 160
From: PRICE.SMITH@worldnet.att.net (Harold Smith)
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 19:57:12 +0000
I see a lot of discussion about an inverted V on 160.

Think about this. If you had a dipole on 160 at 50ft ( an inverted V would
be impossible at that height ), It would perform about the same as a dipole
on 20 meters at 6.25 ft. There would be no vertical radiation to speak of.
To make it a true inverted V on 160 it would have to be at least 265 ft up !!

This is why inverted Ls and verticals are the best choice for DX.

I have 80 ft of 45G Rohn tower with a 5el 46ft boom on 20mtrs at 80 ft, 3 el
15mtr yagi at 90 ft and 3 el 10mtr yagi at 100 ft. I shunt feed the tower
using an Omega match
with 2- 500pf 10Kv vacuum var caps. The tower sits 4 ft from my 18 x 36 ft
in- ground pool and the pool ground system is connected to the base of the
tower.
this gives about 900 sq. ft of counterpoise. This is used only on 160 and it
gets out very well. It is too long for 80 mtrs. It works out to be a 1/4
wave length at 1.833 Mhz. The vswr at 1.830 is 1.0:1. My lot size is 90 ft X
140 ft, so I have no room for beverages. If my line noise wasn't S-8 to
S-9+10db, I would have over 200 countries on Top-Band. I have 132 wrkd and
129 conf.

By the way, I have had this tower up 30 years and no problem with the joints
between the sections.  I use 6700lb Philistrand for guys. Up until 3 years
ago I had steel guy wire with insulators at the tower and the guys insulated
every 10 to 20 feet. When I change to Philistrands the Omega tuning did
change a bit.

If you have no room for radials, tie everthing you can find together for a
ground (water system, ground rods, swimming pool ground and what ever is
available).

Also, there is no miracle Rx antenna, if you have noises from multi
directions, which I do.

I hope this might be of some help.

Price W0RI