TopBand: Inverted V antenna on 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Inverted V antenna on 160
From: eldridge@whistler.net (Bob Eldridge)
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 07:03:25 -0700 (PDT)
Price:
You say
>...., It would perform about the same as a dipole on 20 meters at 6.25 ft.
>....To make it a true inverted V on 160 it would have to be at least 265 ft
>up !!
This would be so if the effective ground were at the earth surface, and if
signal penetration at 1.8 were the same as at 14 MHz.
G6XN worked reliably from VK to G on 14 MHz SSB using an inverted vee with
apex a few feet above ground. VE7CRU laid out a 1.8 MHz  antenna ON the
ground and worked 30 states and some DX.  I have worked several hundred VK
stations and have a certificate for 'Worked All VK Call Areas on 160'  using
wire antennas with no vertical elements, so it IS possible.
73

>I have 80 ft of 45G Rohn tower with a 5el 46ft boom on 20mtrs at 80 ft, 3 el
>15mtr yagi at 90 ft and 3 el 10mtr yagi at 100 ft. I shunt feed the tower
>using an Omega match
>with 2- 500pf 10Kv vacuum var caps. The tower sits 4 ft from my 18 x 36 ft
>in- ground pool and the pool ground system is connected to the base of the
>tower.
>this gives about 900 sq. ft of counterpoise. This is used only on 160 and it
>gets out very well. It is too long for 80 mtrs. It works out to be a 1/4
>wave length at 1.833 Mhz. The vswr at 1.830 is 1.0:1. My lot size is 90 ft X
>140 ft, so I have no room for beverages. If my line noise wasn't S-8 to
>S-9+10db, I would have over 200 countries on Top-Band. I have 132 wrkd and
>129 conf.
>
>By the way, I have had this tower up 30 years and no problem with the joints
>between the sections.  I use 6700lb Philistrand for guys. Up until 3 years
>ago I had steel guy wire with insulators at the tower and the guys insulated
>every 10 to 20 feet. When I change to Philistrands the Omega tuning did
>change a bit.
>
>If you have no room for radials, tie everthing you can find together for a
>ground (water system, ground rods, swimming pool ground and what ever is
>available).
>
>Also, there is no miracle Rx antenna, if you have noises from multi
>directions, which I do.
>
>I hope this might be of some help.
>
>Price W0RI
>

>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/topband.html
>Submissions:              topband@contesting.com
>Administrative requests:  topband-REQUEST@contesting.com

Bob Eldridge VE7BS,    RR1, Pemberton B.C. V0N 2L0
                        eldridge@whistler.net