TopBand: Elevated Radials

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Elevated Radials
From: n7cl@sparx.mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 11:32:23 -0700
To: <topband@contesting.com>
 >Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 18:34:25 -0400
 >
 >Hi Eric,
 >

 >An important point is folklore has it that a loop is quieter by gender, or
 >that a loop (or other antennas) can be shielded from electric fields. That is
 >impossible, unless the antenna is made to not radiate or receive at all. We
 >can only change the characteristics *very* near the antenna under some
 >special cases.

Yes, they can be shielded fron electroSTATIC fields but not from
electroMAGNETIC fields.  Only in the case where the noise field is NOT a
radiated field but is primarily due to an electrostatic field in the
vicinity of the antenna (rare) can the electrostatic shielding (or
balancing) be effective at reducing noise.

 >I did (not) mean to imply disagreement with you at all. I was alluding to
 >articles that draw capacitors from the antenna to earth, and speculate
 >that moving a 130 foot long radial up a few feet or breaking a connection
 >suddenly makes losses "go away". The coupling doesn't follow the normal
 >distance vs field strength rules so close to the wire. It's a geometry
 >problem, not a distance problem, until the wire and earth are far field
 >relationship.

I didn't think you were taking issue with me.  I wasn't trying to take
issue with you either.  I just thought I need to restate things a bit
more clearly than I had originally.  As you say there is a _lot_ of
folklore associated with this area.

73,  Eric