TopBand: Peter's 160M Heard comments...

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Peter's 160M Heard comments...
From: GRJOHNSON@VAX1.BEMIDJI.MSUS.EDU (GLENN R. JOHNSON, M.D.)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 15:43:18 -0500 (CDT)
> Subj: Re: 160M - Operating Manual

>      glenn,
>
>      1805+ is ok for EU too, you know. hi.
>      I do not understand the problem: if we call for NA or USA, EU will
>      stand by.
>      we will listen for EU and USA in the same freq band, and of course use
>      for JA on their freq band.
>
>      Please let topbanders know my answer on propagation:
>
>      Hi topbanders:
>
>      A bit of a comment on what Gary, NI6T wrote in comparing JA and Peter
>      I to westcoasters and Heard.
>
>      Yes, USA Westcoast will probably be a problem from Heard. Topband
>      contacts are very unprobable. But I am almost sure we will have 10-80m
>      openings though!
>
>      But, to go with the comparison with Peter I:
>
>      - From Peter I, we worked about 3000-4000 JA's from 10m to 80m (not
>      sure we had any 160m opening to them).
>      - The problem with Peter I was that the mountain was right in the way
>      between us and JA. The mountain on Peter I was much closer than Big
>      Ben or any other mountain is to us on Heard
>      - we might have found more 'hidden' openings with JA from Peter I, if
>      we had a pilot in JA. This year we have one pilot for each of the
>      major areas.
>

>      Let us not be too negative guys: remember that propagation is often
>      there while the hams are not! I experienced this sooo many times while
>      on expeditions and while here in Africa. I can hear the EU beacons on
>      10 or 12 for hours in a row, but no reply. And so, many of us have a
>      pessimistic idea of propagation.
>
>      I am opening a bet: from Heard, we will work every continent and USA
>      area from 10-80m. Anybody on for the bet?
>
>      vy 73
>
>      Peter
>      5X1T/ON6TT
>

> > Dan Robbins wrote:
> > >
> >  For many of us, working
> > > Heard on 160 is certainly possible, but with very limited openings and
> > > stiff
> > > competition it's not going to be easy.  Good luck.
> > >
> > >                                 Dan KL7Y
> > >
> > You got THAT right, Dan!
> >
> > Your idea for HI to listen for NA where the Euros cannot tread is
> > EXCELLENT. There is no way in Hell most of us in NA will get through a
> > wall of unruly Euros (or a wall of friendly Euros), even if we had the
> > suds!
> >
> > I have been sulking over the auroral oval since the first time I looked
> > at HI on a map. From the Left Coast, SP and LP are both essentially over
> > a pole, through the auroral zones. In fact, since I am blocked on SP by
> > my canyon wall, I am very pessimistic about getting through AT ALL on
> > ANY band. I recall that the Peter I DXpedition worked very few JA's on
> > any band--about 600 or so TOTAL QSO's out of -what-50K Q's? (If the
> > numbers are not quite right, hold the flames).
> > --
> > Garry Shapiro, NI6T
> > Editor, The DXer
> > newsletter of the Northern California DX Club

Glenn R. Johnson, M.D.        email:      grjohnson@vax1.bemidji.msus.edu
Home:  218-243-2611           BBS:        WA0PUJ@K0LAL.#NCMN.MN.USA.NA
FAX:   218-243-2918           Cluster:    WA0PUJ@WA0PUJ (PacketCluster)
Work:  218-759-5000
                                            "Orthopedic Surgeons
WA0PUJ, VO2GJ, VP2EZ, VP5H, ZF2RT            get all the breaks!"
Soon to be: FR/WA0PUJ & VK0IR op
Homepage:  http://vax1.bemidji.msus.edu/~grjohnson/homepage.html