TopBand: HI prop: reply to ON6TT

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: HI prop: reply to ON6TT
From: ni6t@scruznet.com (Garry Shapiro)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 15:50:48 -0700
My thanks to Peter, ON6TT--whose comments were relayed by Glenn,
WA0PUJ--for setting me straight re the number of JA's worked from Peter
I (I might have gotten up from the chair and looked it up for myself)
and for the clarifying the physical obstacle (the mountain) in the way
to JA.

Peter is certainly correct when he observes that often propagation is
present when operators are not--a phenomenon observed as readily on
80/160 as on 10/12 meters. All the Packet screen indicates, after all,
is what HAS been heard, not what CAN be heard. On the other hand, when a
major DXpedition is QRV, many are listening who might not be otherwise,
including to bands which appear empty, but which they need. Sometimes,
also, a DXpedition operator tries a few CQ's on a "dead" band and,
hearing nothing, QSY's to greener pastures. Experienced operators know,
however, that often takes a while for word to spread and for a pileup to
build. The HI group consists of experienced operators, and I expect no
stone to be left unturned, in this regard.

I am not going to take Peter up on his sucker bet re working every area
from 10 to 80m--there is ALWAYS someone with enough signal/location to
get through--but if he wants to bet about my personal chances--despite
knowing half the operators--I might venture a small wager.

And Peter was careful to leave Topband out of the offer.
--
Garry Shapiro, NI6T
Editor, The DXer