TopBand: Re: beacon question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: beacon question
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 12:48:10 -0400

>Hi, Tom!
>I have had similar problems with a navigational aid at Gainesville airport.

>The FCC was unwilling to help or check it out, but several local guys are
>hearing it.  Also, I don't think that an "omni" in Paducah is causing your
>problem.  Sounds like some kind of overload distortion resulting in mixing
in

>the FIO signal.  Good luck & let me know what you find...maybe it will help
>us
>up hear near Cumming, GA!
>
>Dean W8ZF

Thank for all the responses.

I switched my phased loops around towards Paducah, and I could faintly hear
the FIO on the fundamental in step with the 160 meter signal.

The usual problem is these beacons use a class A PA with no low pass
filtering. They depend on the antenna system to suppress harmonics, and the
fact the PA is class A. If someone sets the drive too high, these things go
wild. In Ohio, I had problems with BYN in Bryan, Ohio and another in Chicago.
Both of those cases were fixed by a call to the Airport and a chat with the
technician servicing the beacons.

73 Tom