TopBand: Re: BEVERAGES

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: BEVERAGES
From: donovanf@sgate.com (Frank Donovan)
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 22:04:20 -0500 (EST)
Hi Lynn and Rosie!

Its great to hear from you after a long time!

Incoming signals are received in identical amplitude and phase by each
wire of a two-wire Beverage.  The job of the Reflection Transformer is
to convert the in-phase antenna currents into "push-pull" transmission
line currents for transmission back to the feedpoint netrwork of the
two-wire Beverage.  The engineering challenge is to preserve the phase and
amplitude balance of the "antenna currents" while at the same time
generating the 180 degree out-of-phase "transmission line currents" for
transmission back to the feedpoint network!

The reflection transformer for far-end termination of a two wire Beverage
is described in detail in Vic Misek's classic "The Beverage Antenna
Handbook" second edition, page 55.  The 17th Edition of the ARRL Antenna
Handbook page 13-17 also describes a two wire Beverage with a reflection
transformer termination.  The same references describe the
required feedpoint network for a two-wire Beverage.

73!
Frank
W3LPL
donovanf@sgate.com