TopBand: A61AJ information from K3LP (ex AA6DC)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: A61AJ information from K3LP (ex AA6DC)
From: bernie.mcclenny@mail.wdn.com (Bernie McClenny, W3UR)
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 1996 01:11:19 -0800
The following was picked up off my local packet cluster.  I have sent it to
both the DX and TopBand reflectors.

Hello to ALL:
I just arrived home this evening and wanted to thank so many people for
all the fine support and making the A61 visit an enjoyable one.

I had the chance to operate from A61AF, A61AJ, A61AM and A61AH while
visiting the the UAE on November 15 thru 26, 1996.  My Wife Rebecca and
I had lots of great fun and had a chance to meet and visit with some
very fine people in the UAE.  A special thanks to A61AM, A61AJ and A61AH
for going out of there way daily to ensure our visit was a success.

The trip ended up taking a totally different route then planned for
several months 2 days before leaving Wash. D.C. At this point, I wasn't
sure if I wud even be able to operate at all. This was rectified quickly
within 2 hours of arrival in the UAE.  Rebecca and I arrived in Dubai at
1:30 AM on Nov. 15, within an hour we were with A61AM and A61AH parting
in down town Dubai.  We didn't arrive back to our hotel until 6:30 AM.
It was great fun.

At this point, the plan was known.  We were authorized to operate only a
few hours from A61AF, and then spent time with A61AJ, Ali installing an
Inveted L for 160 (75' high on leg and remainin at 75'`horizontal), and
inverted Vee's for 40 and 80 meters positoned for US contacts.

I also spent some time trouble shooting and replacing two defective
rotators, and repairing a TH11 Beam becuz of prior assembly problems.
A61AJ's station was now ready to go. Becuz Ali, A61AJ is new to HF (1
month and abot 20 QSO's) it was important to work with him on SSB and
working the pile up.  It can be quite over whelming even to someone who
has contested before. Hi Hi.  The next situation was working with Ali
and ensure he cud use the equipment effectively and after I left and
also assisted with CW skills.

I spent many days up and down Ali's tower and also Mohammed's tower.
We installed a new Kt-34 for A61AM and new wire antenna's at A61AJ. This
was good news.  Next it was time to operate. I made about 5,000 total
QSO's during the visit.   These contacts were made at A61AJ, A61AF,
A61AM and A61AH in that order.  It was great fun.  The 160 antenna did
an excellent job. We work 44 countries and about 450 QSO's on this band.

For those who are interested, these are the following (US) call signs
logged as confirmed QSO's with A61AJ on 160 meters: K4IXT, K3ANS, W2REH,
K1AM, VE1ZZ, W3BGN, K1UD, K1MEW, W4NT, KM1E, W1CK, KW1C, W1FJH, N3DAW, K2NV
and WA3EUL.

Congrat's to all. The best morning for me was Nov 20, 1996. Signals were
very  strong, K3ANS was a gift with a loud signal.

We were also able to make 10 sat QSO's.  Most of the QSO's were on CW
and about 300 QSO's on SSB.

Any way, it was great fun.  QSL's for A61AJ are now being printed and
will be available in two weeks. The A61AF QSL's are now available.
A61AJ and A61AF (Only for K3LP, ex-AA6DC) QSL's go to AA6DC call book
address.  A61AM and A61AH QSL's go to KA5TQF

I look forward to visiting A61AJ next year.

To all those who had a chance to work me, congrat's. 73's David K3LP
(ex-AA6DC)

--
Bernie McClenny W3UR (ex WR3E, WB3JRU)

Norms Rotor Service