TopBand: RE: Radial plow

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: RE: Radial plow
From: nx1g@top.monad.net (Craig Clark)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 11:03:09 -0600
At 03:54 PM 12/23/96 -0800, you wrote:
>Many years ago (1980) while living on a city lot I insalled a vertical
>anenna.  I decided to put in a moderate number of radials (16).  In
>those days everyone was recommending that you use a shovel, lift the
>ground, insert wire, and repeat until done.  The thought of doing this
>with a 6 inch wide spade for about 1056 feet of wire was more than I
>could stand. Being naturally lazey, I put my oldest chain on the chain
>saw, put on my goggles, fired up the chain saw, and sawed some
>trenches.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!

I CRINGE WHEN I HEAR THIS SUGGESTED. .

I'm sorry, but a chain saw is like a loaded gun. You treat it with respect!
Putting it in the ground is.....BAD, VERY BAD! A chain saw will kill or maim
you in the blink of an eye.

Get an edger from a local rental place. It is designed for edging or making
perfect trenches for radials! And a whole heck of a lot safer!

Happy holidays

Craig

                        Craig Clark
                Hu-rah!         now      W1JCC
                      ex NX1G, N1ACH, WA1QWW, WN1IGG
        send me e-mail and I'll put you on our mailing list
                        Radio Bookstore
        Books for Amateur Radio, SWL and CB Radio Operators
                        (603) 899 6957
                        (603) 899 6826 fax
                        PO Box 209
                        Rindge, NH 03461