[Fwd: Re: TopBand: drift net beacons]

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: [Fwd: Re: TopBand: drift net beacons]
From: ni6t@scruznet.com (Garry Shapiro)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 10:00:32 -0800

--------------7B23524C11D

--
Garry Shapiro, NI6T
Editor, The DXer
newsletter of the Northern California DX Club

--------------7B23524C11D

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 09:59:48 -0800
From: Garry Shapiro <ni6t@scruznet.com>
To: wb6tza@compuall.net
Subject: Re: TopBand: drift net beacons

wb6tza@compuall.net wrote:

  The problem
> of battery time (of driftnet buoys) is likely to be insignificant with
> potential solar power and
> sea water support- the most likely case being that these simply get
> batteries swapped whenever the nets are pulled - likely fairly often if the
> fishing is economically effective.  Remember that fishing is a very big
> business in that part of the world, and the nets themselves likley cost far
> far more than a solar/battery supported beacon transmitter.

An article from an outfit acting as a clearing house for driftnet buoy
info (I have searched my files and have not found it) described the
usual unit as having a battery good for six hours of continuous
operation--hence the transponder activation. These units cost several
thousand dollars each---far less than a net, but not insignificant.