TopBand: Blown Beverage Terminations

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Blown Beverage Terminations
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 16:45:57 EST
The last time that I went thru the woods checking the Beverages and
terminating resistors was back in October. Since the summer lightning
season was over I felt that I was safe until next season. However, today
I found 4 of 6 terminations either vaporized or way off value. We have
had a few very dry snowfalls and one real humdinger of a wet heavy snow
fall on Dec 7 that included thunder and lightning. All of the lightning
appeared to be in the atmosphere and the thunder was very
muted....nothing appeared even remotely close.

Has anyone else in snow country experienced similar problems?  The
resistors were all 2W carbons and today I replaced them all with a pair
of  parallel 1200 Ohm 7W non-inductive Dale's.