TopBand: HEARD BEST YET

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: HEARD BEST YET
From: vertex@mercury.execulink.com (Tenex Communications)
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 19:07:47 -0500 (EST)
Sunday at 2303 I worked VK0IR-the L'il Pistol gets through!  From 2240 when
I began to listen until 2335, they were 559 to 579 and at one time (around
2255) they peaked at 589!!  This was on my NE 880' Beverage.  I have been
noticing the various azimuths reported by various ops where Heard peaked
last night-I found the NE antenna the best by a long shot.
I also noticed an absence of QSB during this time, though others reported
bad QSB.
Strange band...strange conditions...strange people who work 160 DX!

Hats off to the Heard ops who kept it flowing nicely and repeated calls at
least 6 times, though they were 579 copy on all but my "cfm" (due to a
S9+20db carrier on the TX freq). I thought that they worked efficiently and
got a large number of stations confirmed in the hour or so I listened.

Sure was a great band last night-the total just keeps climbing slowly but
surely.

Bill, VE3CSK